Day Programs - Eating Disorders, Brisbane
Our Day Program services schedule is changing.
From the 15th of September New Farm Clinic will be expanding our day program services schedule to include more group options, available on more days and session times.
Our new and improved Day Program service schedule will be updated soon - please be patient with us while our dedicated Allied Health Team make the necessary changes to our website and brochures.
Until then if you have any questions regarding referral to our Day Program services please contact our Day Patient Program Coordinator on Ph (07) 3254 9100.
Helping people develop positive methods of weight and lifestyle management
Eating disorder treatment programs help people stabilise their weight within a healthy range and develop positive methods of weight and lifestyle management. This then leads into working on the underlying psychological issues that lead to the disorder. Whilst they affect mainly females, eating disorders can be experienced by males as well with the onset of symptoms generally developing in adolescence but it can also happen in early adulthood.
Eating disorders fall into 4 categories:
- Anorexia Nervosa: This is a severe emotional disorder that impacts on the mind and damages the body through starvation. It is the third most chronic illness for adolescent girls in Australia (behind obesity and asthma).
- Bulimia Nervosa: This is characterised by frequent episodes of binge eating followed by purging behaviours such as vomiting, laxatives, diuretics or excessive exercise in a frantic effort to lose weight.
- EDNOS (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified):This is where sufferers’ individual symptoms do not fit the criteria for either Anorexia or Bulimia. Sufferers’ symptoms are any mixture of the above criteria.
- Binge Eating Disorder: This is characterised by compulsive overeating with no attempt to avoid weight gain.
The exact cause of eating disorders is unknown however there are certain characteristics present in all cases of people developing a disorder:
- Low self-esteem, anxiety, self-criticism and perfectionism
- Changes in life circumstances e.g. breakdown in relationships, trauma, abuse and neglect
- Biological factors such as hormonal or chemical imbalances
Brisbane's leading eating disorder clinic
New Farm Clinic is Brisbane's only private inpatient program for eating disorders in Queensland.
We offer treatment for eating disorders that help patients manage their food intake in a healthy way. We also provide patients with the tools to help them deal with their body image and the underlying psychological issues.
Our qualified and dedicated clinic staff work to provide mental health services and eating disorder treatments for Brisbane locals and patients across Queensland.
Contact New Farm’s eating disorder clinic today on (07) 3254 9100 or free call 1800 172 041 or fill in our online contact form.